A lot of public and semi-private courses in this area are open already and if they’re not, they will be this weekend.
We’ve taken a look at things and determined that with us down in a valley, it’s a little bit of a different climate, a little cooler at night, so we’re going to hold off until the 15th of April.
We’ve been cutting fairways and greens. Things are starting to turn green every day and we’ve got our irrigation up, which is a real positive.
We took that extra week to make sure that we’re on top of our game and ready to go. It was very tempting to open during the Masters, but I promised Tyler Patroch, our superintendent, I wouldn’t throw him under the bus like that.
There are certain areas here where the frost takes longer to come out and if it starts to heave, we can create a bit of a mess.
It just takes a little longer in our little micro-climate and I’d just rather take an extra week and the membership gets that. We’re typically five to seven days later than the rest in opening.
The 15th is still an early opening for us by about a week to 10 days and while we probably could have been ready to go this weekend if we’d rushed it, we have had the opportunity to get people back in the habit of being around the club and introducing newcomers to how we operate.