We shut down at Thanksgiving and there is always that two weeks afterwards when there is some pressure to stay open and some did in this area.
This year, I’ll be honest, I looked at doing the same thing, especially after the weather we endured throughout the season, but you have to look at what you can do with an extra week, will it work or will you go backwards?
We might have had a little extra business on Tuesday and Wednesday that week, but it got cold on Thursday and snowed on Friday, which is your revenue day and we would have lost it.
There are so many things you’ve got to get done before it snows and if you don’t get them done right, there are risks.
The grounds crew has got a list as long as your arm that they’ve got to get done. We’ve got things that need doing and your staffing is minimal, so you do as much as you can with as few people as you have before they move on to their winter jobs.
If this was a public golf course, I probably would have stayed open, but we’re down in a valley where the frost delays are longer. It would likely be noon before you got started and your window of opportunity to get 18 holes in, with the shorter days, is minimal and you don’t have enough staff to provide good service.
The worst thing that can happen is the weather turns quickly is that you don’t get your winterization done. At what point do you roll the dice with Mother Nature?