On Sunday, it was 27 C here and I got a bit of a sunburn.
As this blog was being put together, they put an advisory out for 10 to 15 cm. of snow between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, after we got about five cm. of snow in the Calgary area on Monday.
Some of the fairway areas are clear. The greens, because of the sand base, are clear, but we were still losing tree limbs on Tuesday from the weight of the wet snow.
I sent an e-mail to members Tuesday afternoon that we won’t open again until Friday at noon.
That poses a twofold problem.
You always have to look at what’s going through the till and you’ve got to move corporate events, men’s night, ladies’ day, seniors’s day. There’s that revenue side of it.
The other thing that we should pay attention to is that staff is banking on working three or four shifts, but in order to keep your numbers in line, you have to cancel your staff. All of a sudden, your staff is out on shifts and, especially at this time of year, you run the risk of them quitting.
Of course, you’re putting your members out, so it’s frustrating for everybody.
On Monday, when we knew this was coming, we closed because we know few or nobody would be playing anyway. We top-dressed fairways and aerated some of the tee boxes. We got spray applications down because when you get conditions like this, you start to worry about disease.
On Wednesday, we’ll be cleaning up limbs, but it’s a week we didn’t need to lose. The plan is right now to close after Thanksgiving. People need to understand long-range goals when it comes to the golf course.
We could stay open until the end of October, beginning of November and if the weather’s okay, then great – the members love it and revenue is up – but if you make a wrong decision and don’t get an application down or don’t get done what you need to get done, you’re setting yourself up for issues.
As this snow in early September has proven, anything can happen and do you really want to take that chance with the way weather has been changing the past few years?