Happy New Year and welcome back.
Before you ask, you’re not in a holiday haze. You are at GNN, even if it does look considerably different than it did before the holidays.
My first reaction to the redesigned GNN was “give me a minute … or an hour … or a day.” Change is scary, but as we all know, inevitable as we progress. It didn’t take as long as I thought to get used to the new look and what strikes me are several positive features.
First of all, there’s a lot more white space, which makes the content stand out more than it did. Secondly, we’ve gone with a larger, easier-to-read type face that will make it easier on the eyes for GNN’s growing readership. Those two important features were most noticeable to me and I think will be to you, as well.
The content will continue to be what you’ve come to expect from GNN and we’ve left the sections pretty much where they were, so site navigation won’t pose any problems with the new design.
There were other reasons for the change. It was also about upgrading and updating the “code” to meet with the current demands of web standards. That offers us more flexibility with respect to the types of content we can deliver.
Better code means more compatibility with various browsers, including the ability to auto-adjust to the various mobile devices, screen sizes, and browsers on the market today.
The renovation also allowed us to add a few social media benefits and we’ve also made signing up for the morning GNN news blast much easier for those who haven’t signed on already. If you haven’t done so already, we encourage you to sign up for the newsletter or have those around you at the operation where you work do the same.
Change isn’t always easy, but the end goal is to be responsive to our readers’ needs and adapting to changing times in technology. It won’t take long, however, to realize that the more things change, the more they stay the same in respect to navigating the site and the quality of content you’ve come to expect from GNN as it goes into its sixth year.
- the ability to view / read on any size device – content is responsive (no external downloads or apps required)
- want to share content via the social networks? – you can now do that on every post (so spread the word – more people talking golf is good thing)
- want to follow GNN via another online network (we’ll have those options available as well – plus we’ll keep them updated via the sidebar as we branch out to the social networks)
- larger typefaces, a more monotone palette, as well as added white-space translates into a more reader friendly environment
- the main navigation remains at the top while we’ve moved the secondary menu (contact us / advertiser info / etc) to the footer at the bottom