As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog, readers are welcome to go into the GNN Forum to expand on their thoughts once they’ve cast their vote on the current GNN Poll. There’s a new one on the home page, by the way.
Since we launched it on March 2, the GNN Forum has been a success in the sense that over 300 people signed up to take part in the discussions in there as of this past weekend.
The curiosity is that there hasn’t been a lot of discussion. The forum has been like a Grade 8 dance, where everyone piles into the gym, but the boys line up on one side and the girls on the other and, with the exception of a few, nobody wants to make the first move.
Since we’re all adults here, let’s turn that Grade 8 dance into a cocktail party, where we have all gathered with our peers and discussed the issues of the day within the industry, be it national, regional or association topics or something pertaining to our own businesses.
The GNN Forum is designed to be the industry’s cocktail party.
Here’s an example. I’ve heard several pros and owners complain that television or radio weather people always make conditions seem more ominous than they really are, which affects tee time bookings.
There may be a 30 per cent chance of rain, but the weather folks emphasize that instead of the fact that there is a 70 per cent chance of staying dry. I’ve heard that one so many times that I know it’s on people’s minds, so why not vent in the GNN Forum and get a discussion going?
The Canadian buying shows have always been a hot button issue as fall approached, so that’s another good discussion for the forum, but topics don’t always need to be controversial. How about recommending a cool place that you played on vacation or congratulating the winner of a regional association tournament?
The main purpose of the cocktail party – oops, I mean forum – is to get discussion going on any topic or ask questions of industry leaders, executive directors, etc. For example, the National Allied Golf Association will release its economic impact study soon and there’s bound to be questions or comments.
A pleasant chat with peers is one purpose, but not the only one as industry people can use the forum as a service to publicize coming events, post a job opening or your own personal resume. Feel free to write about your own products and services, or publicize a regional/provincial association meeting or event.
Troubleshooting is another purpose as you might seek a solution to a problem that is common among your peers, but you may think it’s exclusive to you.
There are so many different ways to use the forum and the industry is apparently interested, but not taking advantage. If it makes you feel more comfortable, grab a drink and hors d’oeuvres before you go into the forum, but make sure it’s non-alcoholic if you’re still at work.
We need to get you home safely after attending the industry’s cocktail party.